Your Dedicated Legal Advocates

Insurance concerns for an out-of-state accident

On Behalf of | Feb 27, 2020 | Personal Injury |

A trip to Las Vegas is often a fun vacation. Many people come here to enjoy the casinos and entertainment. Of course, with a high number of tourists, traffic can get a little congested, which may lead to accidents. If you have a car accident when visiting Las Vegas, you will need to follow the normal procedures of gathering information and reporting the accident to the proper authorities. You may also have to deal with some insurance issues.

According to the Active Insurance Agency, each state has varying insurance requirements. If you only carry the minimum required in your state, it may not offer you the proper coverage in Nevada. If you do not have the required minimum insurance and have an accident in Nevada, it could complicate the situation.

Plan before you go

Ideally, you should look up the minimum insurance requirements for any state that you will travel to. It is your responsibility to know the state minimums and abide by them. Even if you are not a resident of that state, you will need to have the proper insurance coverage when driving on that state’s roads.

The minimum insurance coverage requirement in Nevada is bodily injury and property damage liability. You need to have $15,000 per person and $30,000 per accident for bodily injury, and you need $10,000 for property damage.

Some states have higher minimum requirements, so you may be fine, but there are also many states with lower limits. You need to review your insurance coverage and compare it to Nevada’s requirements before you go on vacation. This can help you avoid not having the proper insurance coverage and ending up with issues due to an accident.

You also should talk with your insurer to make sure that you will still have coverage when traveling. Most policies will cover you in another state, but it never hurts to verify this before you end up in an accident.