Your Dedicated Legal Advocates

What should you do after a car accident?

On Behalf of | Sep 20, 2021 | Motor Vehicle Accidents |

It’s natural to get shaken after you’ve been in a motor vehicle accident, or MVA, in Nevada. You’re probably not thinking straight, you may have injuries, and you’re likely feeling very stressed out about what you should do next. In such a situation, here’s what you need to do.

Seek medical attention

If you can’t get up and you’re experiencing pain, call 911 immediately because you could be having a life-threatening emergency. Failing to seek medical attention after you’ve been injured in a motor vehicle accident can have serious consequences. For instance, you could have internal organ damage or develop internal bleeding, and these injuries need to be addressed immediately.

Document everything

You’ll want to take photos of all your injuries and the damage done to both vehicles involved in the accident. This documentation will be helpful evidence in case you need to go through settlement negotiations or a court case related to your MVA.

Talk to the police

After an MVA it’s important to make sure that a police officer documents all the necessary details and writes a police report. You should also try to get the name of the investigating officer as well as their report number before you leave. This will be very helpful later on if you need to refer back to the report for legal reasons.

Contact your insurance company

After you’ve received the necessary medical attention and have documented everything you can, you’ll want to contact your insurance company. They will also need to document the accident so that they can take the appropriate actions.

Finding yourself in a motor vehicle accident can be extremely stressful. However, taking the right steps immediately after the accident can improve your situation tremendously.