Alcohol consumption impairs the reasoning, thinking and muscle coordination necessary for operating a vehicle safely. Driving under the influence causes many accidents and fatalities each year.
Although people understand the dangers of drinking and driving, many still do it. Drunk driving results in thousands of deaths each year. You can take steps to ensure safe behavior that helps prevent DUI accidents.
The most effective way to limit impaired driving incidents is to plan solutions before drinking alcohol. Some ways to ensure safe decisions include:
- Choosing a designated driver before going out for the evening
- Using a rideshare company to get to your party and scheduling your ride home before you arrive
- Ordering a non-alcoholic beverage when you drive somewhere alone
- Planning to drink responsibly by eating plenty of food, drinking water and limiting the number of drinks
Be responsible in social situations
It is essential to know what to do in situations where people drink alcohol. Think about your solutions ahead of time, so you have plans for possible circumstances:
- When hosting a party, create a system to ensure all your guests leave with a sober driver
- If you drink without planning to, get a ride with a sober friend, call a taxi or use a rideshare service
- Protect your friends when they drink by taking their keys and arranging an alternate ride for them
- Do not get into an automobile with a driver who has been drinking
- Always wear your seat belt when in a motor vehicle to prevent injuries if an impaired driver hits your car
Hanratty Law Group advocates safe driving practices. You can seek assistance from an attorney if you or a loved one is a victim of a drunk driving accident.