Whether harm was caused by a wreck with a big rig or as a result of some other type of accident, it’s devastating to realize that you or your loved one has been left with a permanent disability.
The physical, mental and financial consequences of such an injury can be overwhelming – and that automatically makes the stakes surrounding any claim for compensation you may have a lot more significant than they might otherwise be.
What sort of compensation is possible?
Every case is unique, but you can generally expect your claim for compensation to include:
- Medical expenses: You can seek compensation for all past, current and future medical expenses related to your disability. This may include hospital bills, surgeries, medications, rehabilitation therapy and ongoing medical treatments.
- Lost wages and lost earning capacity: If your disability prevents you from working (or significantly limits you), you can claim lost wages and loss of your earning capacity. This may cover not only wages you lost while recovering but any future income you would have earned if not for the disability.
- Pain and suffering: You can seek damages for physical pain, emotional distress, and mental anguish caused by the accident and the disability. These damages are meant to compensate for the physical and emotional toll the disability has had on your life, including your emotional distress and any loss of enjoyment of life that you’ve experienced.
- Assistive devices and home modifications: If your disability requires the use of assistive devices such as wheelchairs, prosthetics or mobility aids, you can seek compensation for these costs. You can also seek compensation for costly home modifications, such as wheelchair ramps and accessible bathrooms. You may also claim the cost of modifications to your main mode of transport or a wheelchair-accessible van.
- Punitive damages: If the responsible party’s actions that led to your accident were deemed particularly reckless, intentional or grossly negligent, punitive damages may be awarded. These damages are meant to punish the party involved and deter similar conduct in the future.
It’s critical to explore all potential avenues for compensation since what you can ultimately receive from any single party may be limited by their insurance coverage and assets. Seeking experienced legal guidance can help you to evaluate your options.